Monday 24 October 2011

43. Ol' Dirty Bastard - Nigga Please





Due to the fact that I've been moving house over the last week I haven't been able to chronicle the albums that I've been listening to other than writing the titles on twitter, followed by the hashtag #365Albums. Now it's time to catch up. I cant imagine that any of these blogs will be long, substantial or even good but I committed to doing this challenge and, by gum, I'm going to finish it blemish-free. 


This album is Wu-Tang member Ol' Dirty Bastard;s second and, ultimately final, studio album. The best thing about this album is how crazy it is, being a mental crackhead will do that to you I guess. Take 'I Can't Wait' for example where the chorus is 'Big Baby Jesus, I can't wait, nigga fuck that I can't wait.' screamed at various different volumes and pitch (Big Baby Jesus was another one of Dirty's names, by the way). Other oddities are the cover of Rick James's 'Cold Blooded', despite that in no way, shape or form can Dirty sing. His lack of singing ability isn't enough to put him off though as he also performs a duet with Lil' Mo (remember her?) on 'Good Morning Heartbreak' which is one of the strangest songs I've ever heard. 


Among all this madness there are a few damn good hip-hop songs there though. The albums title track 'Nigga Please' has Dirty rapping (almost) coherently over a great Rza production, 'Recognize' is produced by the Neptunes and has a really odd guest verse from comedian Chris Rock and is a great intro to the album and, of course, the Neptunes produced 'Baby I've Got Your Money' featuring Kelis, which was an international hit on the pop charts. 


Ultimately this isn't an album that will be to everyone's tastes and it's not the best hip hop album ever made, but I think that it perfectly captures the madness that must have surrounded Ol' Dirty Bastard's life. 


Until tomorrow.....
twitter.com/therealtomsmith
#365Albums 

Favorite song:





No comments:

Post a Comment