Monday 24 October 2011

44. Guilty Simpson - Ode To The Ghetto





Guilty Simpson is one of those MC's that I don't know too much about if I'm being honest. I've heard him on various songs on albums by Madlib and J Dilla and every time I've liked his verses, so I thought I'd give his 2008 debut 'Ode To The Ghetto' a spin. 


To no-one's surprise, I liked it. The title 'Ode to the Ghetto' is very apt as a lot of the songs detail the trouble and strife of trying to survive in urban Detroit. Although a lot of the lyrics depict the illegal acts that he needs to commit to make a living, Guilty Simpson never glorifies it. The beats are superb too, looking at the production credits though, this was always going to be the case (any album with production from Dilla, Madlib, Mr Porter and Black Milk is going to be rife with bangers). 


'She won't go' is a great tale of Guilty Simpsons dealing with an overly suspicious (read mental) girlfriend who wont leave him alone over an awesome Madlib beat. 'The Future' is another Madlib BANGER (I needed to put that in caps, because the beat is so heavy.) and 'Run' featuring Sean Price, which is produced by Black Milk, is a great track. After hearing this song you can see why they make more music together as 'Random Axe. 


This is a very strong album by a very smart and talented MC. 


Until tomorrow.....
twitter.com/therealtomsmith
#365Albums 

Favorite song:




No comments:

Post a Comment