Friday 16 September 2011

12. Nirvana - Nevermind



On the 24 of this month, it will be 20 years since 'Nevermind' by Nirvana was released to the general public and it's still as good as it was then. Thanks to @misterrhys for the suggestion.

The obvious song to initially discuss is 'Smells like teen spirit', which I always thought was an analogy for semen. I'm serious. It turns out it's not really about anything, apparently Kurt Cobain  would write the lyrics for his songs about five minutes before recording it. 'Teen Spirit' isn't cum though, it is the name of some kind of american deodorant which was popular in the early 1990's which Cobain smelled like. That's an imaginative concept though, no one would do that these days, can you imagine the Kaiser Chiefs or Mumford and Sons doing a song about Lynx? Even if they did it would be shit.

'In Bloom' is probably my favorite song though, it'd would most likely be 'Teen spirit' but I've been in too many shitty, cheesey clubs that have played it and it's somewhat killed it for me. 'Lithium' and 'Come as you are' are great songs too, but the other track that really stands out to me as the lyrics sound so sinister.

I'm off now to attempt to write a song about old spice.

Until tomorrow.....
twitter.com/therealtomsmith
#365Albums


Favorite song:


No comments:

Post a Comment