Friday 30 September 2011

26. Refused - The Shape of Punk to Come



I wasn't too keen on this album before I'd even listened to it. It sounds like a silly thing to say, but it's true. The person that recommended it to me said that it's quite "shouty" and I'm generally not a fan of 'shouty' punk. But in this case I'll make an exception.


The shouty factor didn't really bother me because it's not out of place with the rest of the music and I can imagine  that sometime in the future I will very much be in the mood to listen to this and rock the fuck out. There are some  really interesting things about this album too, the songs don't really seem to feature any specific structure, there's a plethora of different genres infused into this such as jazz, electro, drum and bass and of course punk.


The songs that really stood out to me are 'New Noise' which starts out like it's going to start with a mental, heavy guitar riff and then turns into an almost chillout/drum and bass song and then kicks into a very heavy song and the other stand out track was 'Tannhauser/Derive' which has a really ominous intro that goes on for about 2 and a half minutes before then switching between heavy punk and ambiance. The thing that I like about this album is how the musicians really build to the heavy moments. Oh, and the drumming's awesome.


Until tomorrow.....
twitter.com/therealtomsmith
#365Albums

Favorite Song:


No comments:

Post a Comment